With an extra hour to make the most of on Sunday, I decided to head to the allotment. I set off down the road giving our neighbours an early wake up call as I clattered my way past, with my wheelbarrow full of tools, plants and a sack of manure 🙂
Our summer cabbages didn’t do very well this year. We had tried to protect them by making little chicken wire cloches, but we left them on for too long and smothered the plants. We were pretty disappointed with our squashed Brussels sprouts, so lessons learnt, this time we’ve built a frame that covers the cabbages now and gives them plenty of space to grow.
Fingers crossed that in the spring we’ll have our first homegrown cabbages.