Every year it gets to a point when you just can’t keep up with the beans and you just have to pick them all and make some chutney.
So far I’ve made 8 jars…I’ve only used 1/2 a baskets worth!
If you fancy giving this a go, here’s the recipe –
900g Runner beans – sliced and chopped into bite size pieces
700g of onions – chopped
850ml malt vinegar
1 tablespoon mustard powder
1 tablespoon turmeric
225g soft brown sugar
450g Demerara sugar
- Put your chopped onions in a large pan (I use a jam pan for this recipe) with 275ml of vinegar. Simmer until onions are soft, approx 20mins.
- In in another pan part cook the sliced beans in a pan with boiling water and a pinch of salt.
- After 5mins drain the beans and add to the onions.
- Next, make a paste with the cornflour, mustard and turmeric with a little splash of vinegar. Add this to the beans and onions.
- Give your mixture a good stir and then add the rest of the vinegar.
- Simmer for 10mins. Then add all sugar. Stir until dissolved, then simmer for another 15mins.
- Then carefully pot up in sterilised jars.
- Keep these in a cool place for around a month before enjoying with cold meats, cheese or a nice pork pie!
I hope your enjoy this as much as we do!